Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Stamp it out

It’s time to create a small detail. On the Cassina reproduction chairs one of the last steps is to silk screen their logo along the bottom of the chair, and stamp in a serial number.

Since I’m not running a large factory, I’ve decided to imprint “G. RIETVELD ZIG ZAG 1932” on the bottom piece. This way when I’m dead and gone, and my relatives wanted to know a little more about the odd chair I built, they will have some reference information.

This is a pretty easy task. Not a whole lot to it.

Step one: lay out a straight line.


Step two: test the first letter (in terms of how hard to drop the hammer). Looks about right.


Step three: Step back and admire the work.


When I do the final sanding the very small edges around the letters will be sanded smooth, and will look nice.


The chair is now dangerously close to being finished!

No comments:

Post a Comment